Today is Day 9 of the Campaign and here is a flavour of the events taking place in Ireland and abroad:
Women’s Aid Events:
- 16 Facts for 16 Days email campaign (email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01-8684721 to sign up)
- 16 Books for 16 Days in Chapters
- Women’s Aid Public Awareness Campaign
- Media Briefing Notes
- In Ireland:
- Art Workshops in Newbridge family Resource Centre
- Tipperary Women’s Network Human Rights based Training Event
- Information Session at the Immigrant Council of Ireland
- Violence Against Women 365 International Poster Exhibition continues in Wexford
- Displays at various venues around Mayo
- Human Rights in Ireland continue their 16 Days Campaign daily Blog
- “In Her Shoes” exhibition in Longford, and also in the Mid-West
- Information Stands are placed around Sligo and Leitrim
- Aoibhneas Refuge is urging us all to “Step Out of the Shadows”
- Clare Women’s Network is running a powerful daily poster campaign
- Galway Rape Crisis Network is running a daily fact campaign
- Donegal has a poetry and art display
- Kenya North Rift Women Voices training events in Kenya
- FemLINKpacific Community Radio Broadcasts in Figi Islands
Today is Day 1 of the 16 Days Campaign, International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, and there is a huge variety of things happening around the country:
- “In Her Shoes” exhibition in Longford
- 16 Rights for 16 Days exhibition in Sligo
- Poster display and lily campaign in Mayo
- Aoibhneas Refuge’s “Step Out of the Shadows” campaign
- Galway Rape Crisis Centre’s social media campaign
- Art and Poetry is on display in Donegal
- Pavee Point is running a pampering session for staff, and various invited guests
- “Break the Silence” ceremony and solidarity campaign in Leitrim and Sligo
- Panel discussion and film screening in Wexford
- “In Her Shoes” exhibition in Clare, Limerick and Tipperary
- NUIG Femicide Awareness Campaign in Galway
- Dundalk Women’s Aid asks “What are you doing about it?”
- Annual Big Breakfast and Pampering Day in Limerick
- Pamper morning for women in Blanchardstown
- Women’s Aid’s campaign begins with a Public Action outside the Dáil Éireann, and the first of the 16 Facts for 16 Days emails
Show your support and get involved in something in your area!
On Wednesday the 25th November 2009 the “ In Her Shoes” Exhibition will be the focal point for the launch of the 16 days of Action in the Midwest Region. The Launch is a collaboration of the Limerick, Clare & North Tipperary networks on violence against women. The launch will take place in Istebrack Hall, Limerick City Hall at 6pm on Wednesday 25th November 2009.
The exhibition comprises 160 pairs of shoes, each pair representing an Irish woman who has met a violent death since 1996 and will be open to the public from 5pm to 8pm.
Download full calendar of events in the Mid West Region here.
The 16 Days Campaign will be officially launched in the Mid West Region by his worship, the Mayor of Limerick and will be addressed by Jacqui Deevy, the designated officer on violence against women, HSE and Mary Kelly.
This Campaign and this Exhibition highlight the nature and prevalence of violence against women and the fatal consequences for some women.
For Further Information Contact: Ann Ryan, Project Officer, Violence Against Women, HSE. (061) 461346 Mobile 0860402292
The Tipperary Women’s Network will be holding two afternoons of Human Rights Based Approach Training on Domestic Violence.
The trainings will be on the 3rd and 10th December from 2:00 to 4:30 at Knockanrawley Resource Centre.
For more information contact Ruth at Knockanrawley at email@example.com or on 06252688.